Monday, April 07, 2008

I'm in East Europe

As in.....who sent me message?? I had no idea what to expect on my way here so I wasn't really disappointed when I got here. I wasn't too impressed either.

It’s very European looking but like it hasn't been refurbished in years. I hear that the outskirts and smaller cities are more scenic so I plan to eventually do some sightseeing but not right now.

I have to say I'm an open person but what I wasn't expecting was that there would not be another single soul like me to be seen like....anywhere. Not only that, I don't think most people have seen a black girl face to face. The staring is really daunting. Preparing to leave the house is a long self motivation process and the language barrier doesn’t really help matters. The day after I arrived, I ventured out to look for a grocery store. Now I never make this mistake, I always stock up on Dano powdered milk, Indomie Noodles, Milo and Cereal but between the time I got the Visa and had to leave was so short that I didn't have time to buy anything. Biggest mistake!

Anyway I walked up to the main street and started asking...'Do you know where I could find a grocery store...supermarket..blah blah'. The first few people I met couldn't really understand me so I started looking for someone who could speak English. I found one guy who said he couldn't speak English in English...er okayy. Finally before the tears started falling ( I cry when I'm frustrated, I could be a Nollywood actress) I found a young girl who could speak a little English and she walked me all the way to the supermarket. I thought that was really nice of her. I guess it was easier than giving directions.

So I'm settling down a little. I know where to get food, there’s a gym around the corner and I can find my way to work and back on the subway and most importantly, I am learning to blank out the staring. I don't think they are doing it to be mean, just think what you would do if you saw an alien walking amongst you. I just get on with it really. I can't wait for my friends to visit so we can act a fool in public so some people can really have something to stare at!

21 comments:

Simi Speaks said...

glad to see u back! i always read ur blog why b4 i started mine!

Good luck in EE!

TMinx said...

Thanks Simi :)

Waffarian said...

Hellooooo, where exactly are you...Eastern Europe used to be my stomping ground, I might have some useful tips! Stay strong.

Anonymous said...

...Greetingz Ms. TMinx,

...Don't speak Romanian, in all sincerity I actually struggle speaking English on most days!!...Guess you may have a dainty electronic translator or a phrase book,in the event you don't I come bearing a free online translation web portal you can bookmark on your computer:
http://www.translation-guide.com/free_online_translators.php?from=Romanian&to=English
...hoping your trip brings you more laughs...!!

Peeeeeeeeaaaaaaccceeee!!
C!!

Anonymous said...

i have missed you o!!i saw a comment you left on bella's and i was like let me check out ur page!hope u back to stay!

Anonymous said...

wait the guy couldnt speak english in english!!!ewoooo wat does that mean?men i feel you being in a place where u cant really interact much!!!welcome back o.....

Thirty + said...

Welcome back to blogging o.

So which town is that they have never seen an ebony babe before.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Good luck! Out of curiosity, what Eastern European country was this?

kuesooM said...

Wow my faithful persistance has finally paid off.....u r back.....good on ya girl!

Hope you stay. Do u still update ur photoblog.

Hope you settle down soon.

TMinx said...

@Waffy, thanks, I'm in Romania...now any useful tips?
@Consciousness...do I know you? I didn't mention where I was but thanks for the link :)
@PinkSatin, thanks for the warm welcome. How have you been?
@30+ I'm sure they have but probably one in a green moon lol
@anonymous, see above.
@kuesoom, thanks for being persistent lol. I will update my photoblog on Monday and hopefully keep up with it.

NikkiSab said...

Nice to av u back Tmx!!!!U r one hell of a traveller - I like it(wink)

Have fun!!!

Waffarian said...

Romania....no wahala. I know a medical student(Nigerian) there, I (am assuming bucharest) am sure she'll be happy to show you around.

The good thing about Romania is that you can take the train and go to other European cities for the weekend, budapest, vienna, etc. The train tickets used to be cheap, don't know how much they cost now.

Most romanians are very friendly, you will be surprised how nice they are once you get to know them.
I know for sure there is a Naija population there. Mostly two kinds: The students/scholarship kind and the hustlers(u can imagine yourself)

A good place to find other foriegners and english speakers would be to join a language school. It is not at all expensive, you can go maybe twice a week or so...you'll meet other foriegners...

anyway, let me go see who I can hook you up with.

BacktoNaija said...

Hey! Didn't know you were back;) Wow, you are adventurous! What does your job entail in East europe?
Don't pay the stares any mind. It was the same thing when I visited Jordan and to make matters worse I was wearing shorts and mini skirts in a country where the women were fully covered.

BacktoNaija said...

I forgot, I was going to ask if your rss feeds are enabled. I couldn't subscribe

Bold and Beautiful said...

Dont worry son u would get a hang of it.U would be fine ,it can really be lonely in a foreign country.

TMinx said...

@backtonaija...thanks. I think I turned it on..I will check.
@bold and beautiful...thanks, things are better already.

Moody Crab said...

Gosh, I know the way you feel. It was dificult for me when I newly moved to here (Antibes) and to my surprise, not that much black people. You would think that since it is South of France and with all P. Diddy's shenenigans, they would be used to black folks, right? Wrong...I still get stared at even till now. I have learnt how to blank out and mostly importantly, smile.

Romanian....hmmmmm

bumight said...

came here from 36's
hope you stay!

SapphireAster said...

lol,you moved again? I know a medical student in Romania too (Is Romania known for Medicine or sumn)...I'm sure she'll be glad to help as well

tobenna said...

All the best in this new phase of your life, tminx.
Keep us updated on your sojourn there.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Tminx!!!

Well Medical education (perhaps education in general?) in parts of Europe is free, all you have to do is bust your butt for 6 mths to a yr, learn the language and you're good to go.