"Once a month, the lining of the uterus, acting on signals from estrogen and progesterone hormones, thickens with spongy, blood-filled nutrients. If the woman has had sex and an egg and a sperm join, this uterine lining (endometruim) will be used to sustain the developing embryo. If fertilization doesn't take place, the egg travels down the fallopian tube, through the uterus, past the cervix, and out the vagina. Approximately twelve days later, when the levels of estrogen and progesterone have dropped and the uterus has gotten the message that no pregnancy has occurred, the uterine lining - blood and mucus - simply flows out. In total, each period consists of four to six tablespoons of blood."
"The Curse: Confronting the Last Unmentionable Taboo: Menstruation By Karen Houppert"
I can't touch you! That’s what he said!
My coach refused to put me through the usual exercise routine yesterday and today. I didn't know whether to be mad or just accept the fact that ignorance kills.
So I goggled and there it was right in front of me. In those days people believed menstruation could spoil meat!! Even medical practitioners did not want females admitted in the Medical Institution because with sound minds, these men reasoned that if women could spoil meat, they could spoil FLESH! Earlier than that male hunters thought a menstruating lady cursed them with bad luck. Gimme a freaking break.
In 1981 the authour conducted a survey in America
- More than one-quarter thought that women could not function normally at work while menstruating, with 8 per cent (that would have been 14 million Americans!) saying that women should make an effort to stay away from others when they're having their periods.
- 35 per cent said they thought menstruation affected a woman's ability to think
- 30 per cent thought women should cut down on their physical activities while menstruating
- 49 per cent said that women had a different scent at that time
- 27 per cent said menstruating women looked different.
- Half thought women shouldn't have sexual intercourse during their periods, and
- 22 per cent believed that swimming while menstruating was harmful.
- Two-thirds of those surveyed said that women should not mention their periods in the office or in social situations - that included veiled references to stomach pains or headaches - and more than one-third thought women should conceal the fact that they were menstruating from their families (for example, by hiding sanitary products).
- Interestingly, men were more likely than women to think it was OK to talk openly about periods (38 per cent, as opposed to 27 per cent).
- 31 per cent of the women surveyed reported not knowing what menstruation was the first time they had their period, and
- 43 per cent of the women had had negative responses to their first period, saying that they felt scared, confused, terrible, panicky or ill."
SO this was over 2 decades ago and I would like to think that people's ideas and beliefs have evolved concerning this particular issue. But alas I was taken aback by my coach who I had to inform that I was having cramps when one really bad wave seized me, to easy up on the stomach crunches. 360 degrees turnaround. This is the first time I have ever felt slighted for being a woman. He got up and went on to explain or more like blurb about spiritual realms and menstruating women stealing men’s powers and the blood being able to nullify the effects of protective shields to bring down the most powerful man. In my mind I’m like 'warrefarrrk'? If a menstruating woman is able to bring down a man with powers obviously not from God..More Power To You My Sista!
Anyway I really was annoyed by his reaction like I at that point in time I was unclean. There are even references in the first testament in the book of Hebrew about women being unclean and unholy at the time of their periods, another example of cultural beliefs evolving into religious beliefs. I refuse to believe that periods are evil and women suck the life out of men. A man does that to himslef by giving into his LUST for a woman....Man's age old weakness. Trust a man to look for a reason for the woman to have such power over him..A lightbulb pops up and he decides that the reason must be her period. She bleeds and she doesn't dieeee. God cursed a woman with pains of childbirth not Periods and PMS.
So ladies, lets not be ashamed or feel inferior. Lets walk up to those counters and buy scented pearly tampons (they are oh so convenient. We survive through the CYCLE, and still can do what a guy can and even better!