Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Amazing Grace

An Amazing Grace in Lagos


Picture from http://www.theamazinggracefilm.com

My country peoplleeeeee, I have finally watched a good quality Nigerian Movie. It’s called the Amazing grace and I loved it although there were a few cheesy moments. I went to the cinema with no expectations except the fact that I’d heard it was ‘good’ which is really subjective. Compared to all other Nollywood stuff I give it an A. The fact that the natives spoke Efik which was subtitled in English preserved the authenticity of the story centered around the slave trade period. I loved the cast especially one of the main characters ANSA whose name is Mbong Obungide. I think she did a good job for a first timer. Fred Amata the main dude was so so. KUDOS JETA AMATA! You did Nigeria proud.

The Amazing Grace is one of the most ambitious projects to come out of the Nollywood stable. Reputed to be the first major international feature film from the Nigerian movie industry, it highlights the epic story of the British slave trader, John Newton’s voyage to Nigeria in 1748, and how this experience helped inspired him to compose the world famous hymn, Amazing Grace.

The film was directed by the internationally acclaimed Nigerian filmmaker, Jeta Amata. Already one of the Nolywood’s top directors, Jeta Amata had recently worked with the BBC and two of his latest films were shown at last year’s Berlin Film festival. The Amazing Grace was also screened at this year’s Cannes Film Festival.

The movie, The Amazing Grace features a cast of renowned actors from Nigeria, the US and Britain, including Nick Moran (Lock Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels). Shooting started on December 1, 2004 in the Nigerian City of Calabar, which has recently become a Mecca of sort for filmmakers, with a multi-billion naira investment in state-of-the-art equipment and technology. The production was flagged off and has the backing of His Excellency, the Governor of Cross River State, Mr. Donald Duke, who has been instrumental to the success of the project.

In 1748, at the height of the slave-trading era, John Newton sails to the coast of Nigeria and the port of Calabar. Now captain of this ship, The Greyhound, his previous experience in the slave trade had turned him away from religion, into a coarse man with new morals.

Slaves were rounded up by force and trickery; villages raided and burned down, the captives kept in dungeons, chained like animals as John Newton fills his ship with his what he hardly considers human.

But as he leaves the Nigerian coast with a ship load of slaves, a violent storm brings John Newton to the point of death and causes him to re-evaluate his life. He attributes his miraculous escape to The Amazing Grace of God, although it is one of the slaves who actually saved him.

Despite receiving The Amazing Grace, John Newton continues his slave trading. It makes an act of humanity from one of the slaves he considers animals to show him the true meaning of the words. He finally renounces slave trading and decides to devote his life to religion.


2003 - 2006 @ Guardian Newspapers Limited (All Rights Reserved).
Powered by dnetsystems.net dnet

21 comments:

Funmi said...

Now u've got me craving for this movie......anyone going to naija for xmas? hook a sister up please!.

Anonymous said...

I have to look for this movie. Nollywood is doing us pround in their own little way in the film world.

TMinx said...

@funmi, it might not be out on DVD/VCD by then, but u never know in this country
temmy, I was very proud!

Dimples said...

Yeah i've heard about this film...saw some clips of the premeier on BEN Tv and all the reviews after the show where fanatatic.I trust the AMATA family…from Zack o,Fred,Ruke, all the way to Jetta ..i love their work and their acting is at least top class in the Naija spectrum of acting.
One can only pray that the hands of the Alaba market pirates don’t finish the boys career…well done and keep the flag flying for Nollywood

Aramide said...

yes oooo the amatas are on point, havent seen that but im sure its bonz

DiAmOnD hawk said...

this may just be the movie i need to pull me out of my home video slump... hopefully it's out on DVD soon

TMinx said...

@dimples, I really hope they don't mess them up oh! They deserve a lot for this production
@mona, u'll see it soon enough.
@ I wouldn't even call it a home video. Will let you know when its out.

Anonymous said...

wow, im surprised u beat Mona to this. But i havent seen or heard of this movie sha..ill have to look into it.

Anonymous said...

oh whao.. the movie sounds exciting.... i went and saw abeni at the toronto international film festival and it was really great too actually.. its great to know naija is doing it big and raisin their game to an international level... makes me proud to be naija(although it doesn't take much actually to make me proud of em.. we just ROCK NATURALLY!!!)

Anonymous said...

wow!... Just seeing the preview,I love it already.

Nollywood is about to BRING IT ON! .. I guess!

Toni Payne said...

Worldwide babe, how far?

NaijaBloke said...

Nice movie ..saw the preview ..Jeta Amata is actually one of the best producers in Naija if I may say ....

Hope u r enjoying urself?

Biodun said...

Ok, I want to see this movie now, I dont do nolly wood on a good day, but this sounds like a great one!

BabaAlaye said...

Hey Minx Where can i cop the Bootleg?
Hola at your boy

TMinx said...

@Zai, I hadn't heard much about it till the movie came out.
@Toni Payne, I dey oh. I'm still here for 6months
@naijabloke, well with this movie, he def scored points
@Biodun, Im sure you will like it
@Babaalaye, I don't know just yet but I trust my country people. I'm sure the original won't be expensive though.

Uzo said...

I am going to see this movie this weekend. I have heard really good things about....

Anonymous said...

i heard about it when wesley snipes went to nigeria last yr.i cant wait to see the movie.the young man,jeta has really tried.kudos to him

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

i've made a note i'm buying this when i get to naija@@@@

TMinx said...

uzo, its very nice
didi, he came to Nigeria??? Lol, why?
onada, lets hope its out then. See you on this side!

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

wow - do you think they will be showing it out here in States or in europe - it sounds like a must see film.

Unknown said...

TMinx Thanks for the info!! As an authentic Calabar Chic - u know I'm always interested in anything and everything about Calabar. I am really looking forward to seeing this movie - Amazing Grace myself. Will be keeping a sharp lookout for it.

I'm so glad Donald Duke - my darling Governor has decided to run for President come 2007. PDP need a breath of fresh and invigorating air like him at the realms of the affairs of Nigeria come 2007. I'm rooting serious for Don!