Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Golden Ratio

Yesterday I was browsing through photography articles and came across the Golden Ratio. Apparently it is "the basis for everything perfectly proportional, and thus aesthetically pleasant, in buildings, art, and living things, including humans". I was intrigued so I read on. The author went on to say that the ratio = 1.618 and 0.618 also called phi. This ratio occurs all around us, in flower arrangements, rabbit and bee populations, leaves round branches, everyday fruits and even in the human anatomy.

SO I read on and he suggested this experiment

"Take a measurement from you feet to your torso, then from your torso to the top of your head. The second measurement on an attractive body will be a ratio of 1.618 to the first measurement. Measure the width of your mouth at rest then measure the width of your nose, the ratio on an attractive face will be...1.618 or 0.618"

Seeing as I was at work, the first part of the experiment would have seemed slightly strange to my colleagues. They might have thought it was part of some sort of ritual seeing as I ‘hail’ from Edo State. I opted for the second and sashayed to the facilities room to sign for a ruler. First I measured the width of my mouth...5.2cm, then the width of my nose..3.2 which givesssssss, drumrolllll...0.615 now give room for error and I think it might just be 0.618 lol! This means I have an attractive face? or rather nearly attractive?

What ever happened to 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'? There is now a universal mathematical equation for beauty! Apparently the Mona Lisa was painted using this ratio which is why she is aesthetically pleasing...I'm not too sure I agree with that. I don't see what the hooooooo haaaaa is about that painting.

Anyway reading Onada's blog I also picked up another problem with being 20 something. We are never happy with our bodies 100%. Like she said the wrinkles come, the boobies slowly start obeying gravity etc etc. Some people have had issues way before then, not enough booty, too much booty, pimples, absence of the coke bottle shape, too short, too tall. Too dark, too light.... It never ends. We end up focusing on these 'issues' so much that we forget to be happy that we just ARE. Why worry about something you can't change? Like my mum said to my sister one blessed morning.."You just have to make the best of your features". And mind you, she's gorgeous, don't know what the woman was on about lol.


.

8 comments:

LondonBuki said...

But we can see from your eyes that you are BEAURRRIFULL!!! U don't need rulers and co to find that out... *rolling eyes* GOSH!!!

Morountodun said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ivieboh said...

yeah, they mentioned phi in Da Vinci Code. interesting stuff. and i'm totally obesessing over my looks right now. i'm constantly pinching the fat on various body parts...it's pretty pathetic.

1511th said...

I know what you look like and I think you are beautiful so clearly ur maths really isnt that good. Do your calculations again..lol

I read about the Golden ratio awhile ago and I thought it was just another wonderment of God's work, to create things to such precisions, but hey that's me.

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

i need to go and measure myself! LOL. HAHA

Aramide said...

YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED so tag along please [aramide.blogspot.com]

Morountodun said...

TMinx, I was going to put up a commentary relating to the use of the Golden Ratio and Fibonacci numbers in art and Architecture and how its been adopted by some of the greats right from the Egyptian Pyramids through to Le Corbusier (one of the greatest architects of the modern day) but I got sidetracked. I thought the Wikipedia article on the Golden Ratio was interesting...

NoLimit said...

I have heard about the fibonacci ratio in the stock market trading and i can tell you this...it is for real..now as per torso measurement...hmmn can't wait till lunch time to find that out! lol