Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Pay me my money!


I've had a good break from the working world but I've got to get my business on track now. I'm currently focusing on the photography side of things, E Etomi photography but will eventually expand into production. I've been trying to think up creative ideas to make some money with my photography aside from the regular client sessions. Please share any ideas you might have.


One thing I'm really bad at is collecting the money who people owe me. I feel bad 'bugging' them...for my own money! Imagine. So I really have to work on that because people definitely take advantage and end up owing me for months. Now that I'm a broke ass entrepreneur, it doesn't really worth it (I love how bad the grammar is!). From now on I will be collecting a 50% deposit upfront. 

I'm having problems setting my prices as well. People always want to haggle no matter how reasonable the price. Photography is not easy, after hours of running around capturing images, I still have to sit for hours editing each picture. Its very time consuming. The funny thing is that Nigerians seem to equate quality with outrageous costs. People like to say, 'David and Newton provided flowers for my wedding, Astoria is doing the catering' etc etc. So maybe one day they will pay me stupid money and say E Etomi is taking my pictures lol. 

I also have to find a niche so I can separate myself from other photographers in the Nigerian market. I'm looking at concentrating on maternity and women, and children's portraits but I also love pictures of my surrounding environment I'll put up some pictures from my last maternity session in my next post.

IMG:http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/money.jpg

14 comments:

Toun said...

Glad to see you take a bold step of faith and doing your thing!
Per suggestions, if you can, you should get an accountant that will be responsible for harassing people for YOUR money. lol. No money, no pictures. Kapish!

But seriously, time will tell on the quality of your pictures. So keep the quality top notch and you'll never run out of customers :)

Good Naija Girl said...

Good plan to collect 50% upfront! When it comes to setting your prices, make sure you're paying yourself a decent rate for the work involved not only during the shoot, but also the post-processing stuff. Whatever hourly rate you decide on, it's got to be reflective of your time and effort. Don't sell yourself short!

Yes, I sometimes wonder if I'm Nigerian since I'm not into all these designer names and being extravagant ;)

All the best with your business! May it grow and may you prosper in it!

Anonymous said...

omg!Tminx is back

Anonymous said...

men i don't think you should carve a niche just yet esp in d naija market..your type of Photography isnt all dat common yet and not too many people are doing it in naija so i think you should take on as much as you can..
also, you should draw up contracts asper payments and services..Maybe you should hire someone part time or so do to that part... so you are not d one calling your clients/friends personally for your money...also separate business from pleasure...friends and business do not mix well together AT ALL...

Fluffycutething said...

so how can we hook you up for a photo session?

been dying to take fabulous pictures of my handsome little man!!!

Are you expensive by the way?

BacktoNaija said...

hey girl! Congratulations on being true to ur talents hon. plus peseverance and patience u will go a long way. the way u present ur business is paramount. Nothing fancy:d basics: letterhead paper for invoices, biz card and ofcourse ur portfolio, personality and lots of passion. Passion and excitement rubs of on people and helps to sell ur goods and convince them ur prices are worth it. also print a proper price list and maybe give referral discounts....try diff stuff...i am happy for u!

misspumping said...

you go girl

it might be rough and tough at the beginning but trust me e go better

temmy tayo said...

Always remember that there is no family/friendship in business. And this only means, get everybody to pay for services rendered.

I really do not know what to do about haggling but well anyways (lol) I might just do same when I need your service.

Welldone babe. So proud of you, taking that bold step aint easy.

Kemi said...

Hi Lady,

Nice to have you back after all these months. You are definitely one brave lady but I am sure all that spunk will get you places. God has a plan for you, keep following your path. Some of us will find the 'liver' to one day pursue our hearts desires, you are an inspiration. You go girl!!!!!

Vera Ezimora said...

It's been how many days now??? Where the pikshures na???

Harry said...

Nic eblog there...just came across it and I lvoe it already

Lowla said...

Wish you all the best in all your endeavors. It must been hard but in a few years, you're gonna look back at this day..Goodluck

Unknown said...

take more than 50 percent upfront, at least 70, and have them give u a post dated cheque for the balance!! its always harder for people to pay up once theyve seen the finished product!

i really love ur maternity pictures and i think u have a niche there. ill put the word out there for you as well, but i still need those prices!!! lol

HIS PRINCESS said...

Hey, I was going to suggest you take a deposit definitely but then u already said that. Another thing is with photography, don't clients have to pay in full before the service? you could have a time line for payments to be due like 50% a week after consultation to hold the date, and then maybe a last date payment must be received before the shoot. Also when it comes to business, you have to make sure you separate your friendship from your work because everybody can easily become your friend especially in Nigeria lol and its hard to keep asking for money I know for me it is. Anyways good luck with ur new business. As far as setting prices, I used to be one of those who thot photography should be cheap until now that im planning a wedding and im meeting all these photogs and seeing how much work is involved after the pics are taken, and i think alot of people just need education in this area. Explain to them what goes on behind the scenes. All God's best in Jesus name.