Saturday, May 12, 2007

Now that the humans have okayed my blog.... I can tell you about my week!

Picture at the top from here

Well I survived a week here! Lets Celebrate…pop the champagne! It’s been quite interesting. I started work on Monday; I'll be in the marketing department which is a change from what I was doing previously in Nigeria. All my colleagues are nice and warm so I felt welcome. I came during a good week because on Thursday we did a mini team-building exercise so I got to know them all because for the life of me I cannot remember all their names. I've been introduced to so many people, it’s crazy. After the team building, we went to an Italian restaurant for dinner and I felt like part of the group.

This brings me to food. Everyone here is skinny and I don't know how they do it. I also don't know how long I will maintain my current weight because the lunch is huge and then most of the week, I was invited for dinner or a drink. It needs to stop but I need to make friends first and I can't do that if I say no to every request but its really starting to tell on me. I feel extra full all the time. I'm not used to eating dinner after a heavy lunch. On Fridays at 10am, the employees have this gathering in the 'common room' with a couple of cakes and coffee and tea. I mean, I'm worried lol. It’s not so easy to regulate your weight as you grow older which I am.

I've decided to start doing exercise. Not like I have much to do with my evenings now (except eating of course). The area I live in is lovely. There is a lovely view from my window and I have mapped out a perfect jogging path around the river. I can go all the way round the river with the great scenery and apparently its a 10k so I have to build my stamina. I think I'll feel better if I burn the calories. Its weird here, it gets dark at about 10.30 pm and bright really early in the morning. The light wakes me up at about 4am! By then its like 7 am in Nigeria. MAD! I haven't been sleeping for very long.

Remember the Nigerian guy I told you about? He and his wife have invited me for lunch today at 2. So today is set for me! I can also ask his wife where I can buy Nigerian 'food stuff' and how I can get my hair done. Thank Goodness. I thought I would have to keep putting in a bun for 2 months. Not cute... Oh I'm allowed home every two months.

As for how I feel...it’s a mixture of moods each day. I like the peace and quiet but I expected to hear more from certain friends…I guess people have their lives to live. I realized I was being a bit self-centered expecting them to call all the time but I'll definitely keep it in mind when it comes to others who may be on such trips in the future. *Note to self *- You need a man lol. It dawned on me that very soon most friends would be hooked up and preoccupied with other things...I can’t expect them to have the same kind of time anymore. Seriously sucks. Anyway…It’s nice to be swamped with calls the first week. At this point I really love hearing my phone ring because it reminds me that I’m not that alone, although I am not...if you know what I mean. Everything here is so different and new but I know it will definitely different in a few weeks. So that’s what I'm looking forward to.


Dear Lord, please keep Madeleine safe and may she be found alive. Happy birthday little one. God be with you. x









26 comments:

loomnie said...

TMinx, enjoy your stay in Sweden. And the fika.... I am sure your colleagues have already invited you to the coffee and cake that could take place anytime from noon. I don't think you should be too worried about fat. I noticed that most of the food you find are not that fatty... In fact, you pay more for fatty food; an example is milk. And when you go for lunch or dinner with your colleagues you might opt for the vegetarian dish on the menu. Most of the time they are less fatty than others. Don't worry, it is Sweden, all restaurants have vegetarian dishes. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

im a fan but have never left a msg. u seem to be doing alrite. as for jodding, do be careful (u know with all dis stories). take care

Azuka said...

Ha ha. Being plied with food, eh? Well, you can nibble a little here and some there. Just tell them your mom complains you never eat.

Seriously, I'm sure you'll find a way.

Naija Vixen said...

Enjoy your duration in Sweden oh...big step,but hopefully it will pay off big tyme!!!Lol @ all the food...have a great weekend and our thots are with lil Madeline and her family.

Unknown said...

Lovely Pictures. Have fun in Sweden. I agree with loomnie - you can opt for healthy dishes when dining out with your colleagues.

Anonymous said...

I really hope they find Madeline :(

Dimples said...

Thank God ur back...as in I was very worried sha!!

Good to know ur having loads of fun already..and have settled in well welll.

Loving the pictures!!!...lol i have already declared my presence all over ur facebook..lol...FAB turn out...ya'll had so much fun....spotted some bloggers!!

Happy Birthday Madeline...I hope she gets found soon sha..it's not about spending ur birthday away from ur family @ such a young age.

DiAmOnD hawk said...

lovely pictures.

pray Madeline is found alive soon

Ms. Catwalq said...

lovely pics. saw three of my seniors and cousin's friends.
this world is so small, it is ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

it seems like u have settled in so nicely!thats good..have fun.k?

Anonymous said...

nice pictures!i recognised abt a hundred pple 4rm them...hmm!seems like everybody in 9ja knows each other...i miss 9ja so much..cant wait 4 xmas

9jamommy said...

Good to know you're settling down fine, don't worry I'm sure the folks you expected who didn't call have very good reasons.

You guys look like you had so much fun in the pics....I'm so jealous that I couldn't be there :(.

Allied said...

First time leaving a comment on your blog... I enjoyed those pic. But i am hating... i have not visted Naija in 10 yrs.. looks like u guys had so much fun..

monie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
monie said...

I checked out the pics; All of you guys looked like you were having a blast! :=) Congratulations again...

As par the food, I think your body's metabolism will get used to it shortly... If you think about it, even our own food at home is not only really heavy, but is prepared with very 'fatty' ingredients, yet you've somehow managed to maintain your figure...

Remember that you're getting as many meal 'invites' as you are because people are trying to make you feel welcome...Soon, you won't be the 'new girl' anymore, and they (the invites) will be less frequent... For now, just eat like you normally would, and let your body tell you when its had enough... Don't stress... :=)

Mari said...

Really lovely pictures.
Have fun in Sweden and don't worry "so much" about the weight. It always happens...when u go to a different place, u are bound to put on some weight but after a while, ur body adjusts.

Bella Naija said...

aawwww
the pics are gorgeous!
hope Sweden is getting better for u!

Ogoja Princess (aka Mama) said...

hey taurean. fab pics. saw many familiar faces. im sure if i was in lagos i would've landed. hope sweden is going well... jogging route sounds like a great idea!

Uzo said...

Food, Food...LOL....Have u exercised before? Cos m thinking going from 0 to 10k might be a bit much..LOL

As we get older, people have their lives to live so you really really have to make yourself busy with your own stuff......Oh the bday pics are sooooo fab...

Daddy's Girl said...

Lovely pictures

classybabe said...

I really hope they find Madeleine safe and well.
Your pictures are cool,there were some recognizable faces on there

Anonymous said...

Ummm... so I'm just reading this. I've emailed you a couple of times o, no response. *rolling eyes*

Later.

UnNaked Soul said...

rawk it and learn some swedish and also how to prepare some swedish dish ;-)

temmy tayo said...

Have fun in Sweden and the fotos are really nice.

Eat in bits o and stay slim.

vindication through innocence said...

BABE im not gay but you are stunning-those pics men!!woah...whoever did a bit of photoshop did a good job!!
- and your man friends arent too bad either(wink)!!!
Have fun in sweden babe!!

bibi said...

lovely pics...and happy belated bday....
have fun in sweden...hows the weather ? i guess not the same as nigeria..
tcare