Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday

Today is the beginning of Lent. For those of you who don't understand Ash Wednesday and what it signifies, here is a little explanation

At Masses and services of worship on this day, worshippers are blessed with ashes by the celebrating priest or minister. The priest or minister marks the forehead of each participant with black ashes, in the shape of a cross, which the worshipper traditionally retains until washing it off after sundown. In many Christian churches, the minister of ashes may also be a layperson or non-clergyman. The symbolism echoes the ancient Near Eastern tradition of throwing ash over one's head signifying repentance before God (as related in the Bible). The priest or minister offers the worshipper an instruction while applying the ashes. These are three examples:

"Remember, man, that you are dust
And unto dust you shall return."
(Latin: Memento homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.)
This wording comes from Genesis 3:19.
or

"Turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel."
or

"Repent, and hear the good news."


The lent period is a time for sober reflection, self-examination and spiritual direction. I guess its a good thing that I did the self analysis.

So anyway I got to work today and one of my colleagues came up to me, looked at my forehead curiously and proceeded to use her hand to wipe my forehead. Nigerians don't understand the concept of what I call my space your space and inappropriate behaviour. I mean, she could have just asked me to clean it myself if she thought it was dirt or something. Oh well, there goes my ashes.

Nigerian Idols is hilarious! There are some really good singers but the bad ones are baaaaaaaaad. Most of the guys choose terrible songs. Can you imagine auditioning with Dafo Drivers 'Swo' and doing the dance steps or Galala? Are they freaking kidding me? One Snoop look-alike introduced himslef as SCMOKE the TUG (thug). Righhhttt.

The funniest so far for me was a girl who decided she would perform Beyonces Irrepleacable

To the left to the lerft
hmm hmmmm hmmmm
To the left to the lerft
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Dats my subject
Please dont stop now
Please don't leave me, please don't leave
and keep walking don't leave this time
could please go and dont come baccccck
it my name so you should stay
lemme call you away
standing in the borner
talking hmmm hmm talkingg bout ill never find no one lie you
got me insteaddd...........


I wish I had a shot of the judges. There is a Simon Cowell wannabe who is so annoying with his grammar and Daniel Foster is a surprisingly nice jugde.

There's a whole channel dedicated to Idols where they show the auditions one by one. And its quite addictive. I was up till 12 am on Monday night. Lord help me.

Checkout my photoblog :)

30 comments:

LondonBuki said...

FIRST!!!!

LondonBuki said...

Your colleague did what??? That is serious invasion of personal space!!!

So what are you giving up for lent darling?

Bella Naija has a post up on the Idols show, she has some clips as well, I will check them out when I get home.

omohemi Benson said...

Sorry bout your ashes.
Will you be fasting?

That Nigerian Idol thing is hilarious!
I thot I was the only one that found Dede annoying.

Anonymous said...

HAHA HA LOL, thats too funny, im actually dying to watch it, is it available online? at least if ur going to audition with a song, learn the word first. Hmmm Nigerians

Anonymous said...

what channel is dedicated to Idols???

TMinx said...

@LB, I wonder how you are always firsstt he heee. I chose to fast this year oh not just give up something.
@Omohemi, Yessir, and that Dede dude, gosh! So vicious and spiteful
@teekay, check out bellas blog. She did a good job on it.
@anonymous Channel 37. I'm not sure if its all day long.

Unknown said...

Ha ha ha. U can always trust fellow Naija peeps to be their brothers keeper. The babe probably thought u didnt look at the mirror in the morn before leaving home for work.

There is a Nigerian Idol Show? When did they start that? Which channel is it shown?

I'm partaking in the lent fast. May I not fall by the wayside along the way. (smile)

Ubong Da said...

Lent means complete Abstinence abi? So those of you with partners stay away or in seperate rooms.

Yeah i saw the Snoop Doggy look alike it was so hilarious especially when he did the chorus and rap. I was expecting snopps songs but the guy just hit pigin.

The Dede guy was fun initially but he is becoming irritating as the days go by. The Ghanian lady is the best of the Judges. She doesn't hurt contestants felings.

On DSTV the show is on Channel 37 and started last Sunday.

TMinx said...

@Calabar girl,goodluck its not easy oh. I'm not doing the whole day fast thing sha. I have a specific time I break it but no dinner or breakfast.
@Ubong da, Abstinence here means staying away from something, it could be anything. Technically if you are not married, you shouldn't be messing with your partner in the first place lol..*exit*

Miss Opeke said...

Thanks for the explaination about the ashes (sign the cross) on the forehead...I have to keep reminding myself about that.
Nigerian, I think personally need to be more accomadating when it comes to our faith.
I am really missing o! I wish I was able to watch Idols West Africa...Well, I have to make do with the American Idols, which by the way...I am loving "Blake Lewis"...Last year, I rooted for "Chris Daughtry" all the way. He did not win but his album is one of the first album I have bought and loved all the songs in it.

chainreader said...

Okay, loving the new beyonce lyrics! They are on point!

Theheheee.

naijabelle said...

lol @ the newly remixed irreplaceable had me in stitches.I would have loved to watch it.I didn't even know it was ash wednesday today and ur colleague is so wrong for what she did.I don't know if i would have taken it well like you did.

Anonymous said...

that you coworker ehn...i think automatically my hand would have reached up to slap her...reflexive response...

i was going to put a post about ash wednesday but you have done it beautifully so thank you for that....

Moments said...

Na real wa for that your colleague o! ahnahn... se she would have aske dyou to clean ur forehead or something, if she does that to an indian after they've gone for one of those their sessions, wo! she would have experienced multiple slaps o!!

Anyway, good that you'll fasting and all that during this period.

Moments said...

Na real wa for the naija idol show o! abeg I have to go check out the post on Bella naija's site. Plzzz... keep us posted you guys!!

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

So there are collegues out there that will boldy touch ones face - thats unimmaginable -

You've done a great job in reminding many that didnt now what today signifies and thanks for the update on Nigerian Idol. Im sure you are having much fun.

Anonymous said...

wow so that is daniel foster in the flesh lol no wonder the middle judge is freaking annoying!!!!!

Omodudu said...

Is this show streamed on the internet, how we go take watch the show now. All this commentary making my Nija mouth watter.

Anonymous said...

You promised pictures from the Valentine's day concert by the end of next week. Still waiting :)

Anonymous said...

... oops I meant by the end of last week. :)

Anonymous said...

Have a blessed lent...I am really looking forward to this detoxing spiritually!

Simply Gorgeous said...

How London Buki is first is because it is a conspiracy, but it is ok.Why did they rub off the ash off of your forehead. I don't think anyone would do that here because they know what it symbolizes. I will go now to view your photo blog.

Eminie said...

My God , the Idols stuff is just too funny !!!
DEDE is something else what !!!
anyway I really enjoyed going thru u photo blog
I was actually searching thru the pictures to catch yours eyes but I didn't or did I !!
I know quite a number of chic there sha so u are not really anonymous anymore !

Aramide said...

Wow i forgot sha :$ God forgive me....think i was too focused on the Redeemed fast...

Been a while since I've been here oh have a lot to read...brb xx

Unknown said...

I am dying dying dying at those revised Irreplaceable lyrics, dammit... what I wouldn't do to see that clip

Anonymous said...

lol.. ppl in Naija kill me.. i used to be catholic as a kid.. i remmeber that stuf.. see as i talk as a kid.. u should ask me what i am now... i have absolutely no clue jare.. i'm spiritually confused... but ash wednesday used to be fun back in the day sha... lol.. i saw the writeup on bellanaijas page.. that simon coweel dudde is freaking annoyin and just keeps rapping nonsense.. he just loves to hear himself talk and makes absolutely no sense plus his teeth are wack(dont mind me jo.. hes pissin me off!).. abrewa nana rocks... i loved her from ghana times.. and the american dude is cool still

angie said...

Ur co-worker was doing tatafo. if i were u i would have told(demanded) her that she has to put back the ash on my head or something may happen to her....that it is a taboo to clean ash off someone's head.....lol.

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

To the lerft to the lerft! I thought I was the only one who watched that.. Dang....Wrong lyrics, no melody..lmao

temmy tayo said...

You see what I mean. LOndon Buki was here first. Dang!

Well, I think I need to hear Simon Cowell wannabe talk o. Kai. E no go fit the person sef. Any other Simon is a counterfeit.

About fasting......... God help me.

Uzo said...

My dear...thanks for the heads up. I would ave missed it. The simon cowell wannabe is Dede Mabiaku..LOL. And i thought Dan Foster would have been mean but he is being so sweet. LOL. I am so excited about this. That channel better go off soon. I was up till 1am on monday watching it. That snoop guy? No comment...

Wiped off your ashes? LOL. Pele