Tuesday, October 10, 2006

AND THE SHOW WENT ON

My country people make una no vex oh. Yesterday the sleep wey dey my eye plenty well well. There was also no internet service at work so my plans to blog PAFUKERED.note the R, I’m a posh razz person.

Anyways unto the gist….Bad news first, I only have good photos from day 2 of the event as I was told by a buff huge bodyguard with dogs not to take my camera in the first day. A BIG MISTAKE cos like everyone there had a cam. Pity mine was so huge but I’ll hustle for those pics for you, mark my word. Watch out for day 2 pics in my post tomorrow.

DAY 1 (this is going to be brief cos Don Chi has such a detailed account)

We were told that the event was from 2 – 9pm. So my friends and I started getting ready at two seeing as there’s always Nigerian time when it comes to these kind of events. At about 4 we drove by Polo Club and it was DEAD. We were a bit confused, as in…isn’t this going down tonight or what? We had only heard that Ciara had arrived. No other word so we were still sceptical about the whole thing.

The entrance was through the back gate for any of you that love Polo Club Chicken Suya…you know exactly where I’m talking about. There were huge security dudes with white tshirts and dogs patrolling the street which was comforting because of all the horror stories about area boys and such. We were told to come back around 6 because they were still setting up the place, so we went of to a café to chill for a little while.

This thing did not start till about 8 o clock!!! Anyways so we had green bands seeing as we were VIP, you can check out the red band on Don Chichis blog. But guess what, those red, orange and no bands were all over the VIP…only in Nigeria. I wasn’t mad though seeing as I didn’t pay for the ticket AND as we walked through, my heart went out to those in the 25,000 section. They were so far back! And there was equipment blocking half of it. They had large screens for compensation but still, they could have as well have paid N500 to watch the screens at the viewing centres.

We were directed to the front of the club where there was a different entrance for those in VIP. We even got a ‘Welcome to the show ladies’ from the bouncers. Unbelievable! We walked in and the stage was just amazing. It was large with lovely lights shining blue, purple, red…. and large speakers suspended from the top and at the bottom. For a moment you would have thought you were abroad. The only niggle was that they had those stupid plastic chairs and some older peeps where claiming territory saying people shouln’t stand in front of them cos they couldn’t see. My reply? Survival of the fittest men. Besides those old and pregnant peeps needed to be in their house not at a concert like that.

Anyway the show started at about 8 o clock. Apparently all the Nigerian acts were cancelled because it started so late. The MC was the Nigerian dude from the Ellen Degeneres show..at least that was his claim to fame. He couldn’t even pronounce his surname properly.. Okun booooo waa. Okay to the opening act

EN VOUGE

What they wore
Black tops with sequins in front and jeans.

What they performed

These three sisters were looking FABULOUS. I hope I look as good when I’m their age. They belted those songs out so well. They performed those good old songs like ‘Freeee your minnnddddd’, and ‘What a man’. They really got the whole thing rolling.

CIARA

What she wore

WHITE. Lol. Top and trousers with her middle open as usual.

Her performance.

I have to say that I love this girl. She really did her homework. She kept on saying ‘Nigeria, mo ferrrooon..’ or however its said lol. And she said ‘how are you’ in Yoruba as well. The crowd loved it. When she first came on, we thought, hmm these peeps are trying to pull one on us. It didn’t look like her for a hot minute. She had on wayyy to much makeup but as the performance progressed...it came off. She had a lot of energy and gave a good performance...songs like ‘So what’, ‘1 2 step’, ‘Goodies’, and
She was genuinely excited to be in Nigeria and you could see that. At the end of the performance she even took a shot of the crowd and threw out shirts which I caught by the way lol. I tell you, all decorum was pushed aside during that concert. We were all singing along like banshees especially during the next segment….

HOVAAAAAAAA

What he wore

Oversize t-shirt, oversize jeans, and shades. But then, u yankee peeps like that. He looked tres sexy though…even with the big lips.

His Performance.

I have to give it to Jay, this guy was not here to play. I lost my voice! He was so entertaining. Please read Don Chi’s blog for a blow by blow account of the performance. Some guys there were going crazy ‘JAY-Z IS THE GREATEST RAPPER ALIVE’, “CAN YOU BELIEVE HE IS HERE? I CANT BELIEVE IT’. They knew the lyrics to every song bar NONE. Don Chi was one of the people going crazy at this point by the way. It was amazing to watch. Apparently some people jumped over the barriers to the VIP section at this point but we were not aware of what was going on because we were way in front. Jay-z oooozees sex appeal especially when he does that thing with his voice where he goes low as he is rapping. Too mad.

He also winked at me a few times and told me to meet him back stage but the stupid bouncers did not believe.

BEYONCE

What she wore

One red A-line short dress like this. Oh and she changed into one long dress that looked like bird feathers. This day must put this in the ‘what not to wear section’ unless…. I’ll know its partiality.

Her Performance

This girls skin is just too bad. All we could do was stare really. She was glowing, im sure the people at the back could see her. She came on and performed the National Anthem…we could have died and come back from heaven. The crowd went wild. Our Anthem NEVER sounded so good. Guys moths were agape the whole performance. Apart from that, it was a bit boring….also we were very tired from screaming during Jays performance. It was also getting to about 1 am. She performed songs from her new album and the highlight apart from the fact that shes burriful and performed the anthem, was when she did one crazy Ciara like move during the performance of ‘Ring the alarm’. She and her dancers bent backwards really low and kept on going down one step to the sound of a gunshot or something like that. Mad. She also had the fan thing going on and was using style to catch small breeze whenever any small sweat started. She also did some destinys child songs (Say my name) and ‘Dangerously in Love’

All in all it was a great night and we were tired. Leaving the venue was easy and we went home to prepare for DAY 2.

Watch out for it tomorrow!

How brief was that??

28 comments:

Aramide said...

awww thanks for your "brief" post, nice nice...and lol @ at the welcome to the show ladies from the bouncers

Don Chi as Blog Marley a.k.a. El Senor Supremo said...

He winked at you, ba? U are a psycho. It's funny how differently people see the same things. I like this. Short and sweet. And I'd give it to those En Vogue honeys anyday. Jay-Z o! Nice work love. But you are wicked o! After I have worn everybody out with Day 1, you should have jumped straight to Day 2. Even I now am waiting on you! Hurr'up child!!!

imoted said...

Good Job. Waiting for the pics though...

nosa101 said...

Na wait I dey wait for the pics O
Hope the stuff was fun sha

Biodun said...

men I got goose bumps, dang it!!! why wasn't I in naija again( o well) , wow, I loved ur break down of day one, felt like I was there, glad u had fun n I cant wait to see the pics!

LondonBuki said...

Oh... that was so brief! Try harder tomorrow please! LOL!!! Just playing luv.

Nice... LOL@JayZ being sexy considering the big lips! What??? JayZ really asked you to meet him backstage? Are you serious???

Sounds like you had fun :-)

tori said...

I AM SOOO FECKING JEALOUS. Gosh, I want to come hoooooooome! *weeps*

Anonymous said...

lol...u go girl..he winked at u!
yeah...rnt u so glad u went?
lookin forward to the pics tomorrow!

Dimples said...

BO!!!hurry up with the pictures o!!!...men if u really wanted HOVA like that u would have taken out the bouncers!!!!..how can he just be winking and not fulfil everything else that comes with it????

Anonymous said...

OMG! girl u write really really good this had me gripped from the beginning to the end and i got goosebumps reading this i almost felt i was there oh my days i wish i was there boohoo...why oh why wasnt i there to see beyonce, jayz and ciara lol...glad u had fun tho, cant wait to see the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Great Job girl! Wish I was there... Listen, It would've been enough even if u had a photo of a stand of Beyonces weave bellowing in the wind! Cant wait for the photos!

Nice one!

Thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

ITS BOUT TIME!!!..lol..MENNNN!!!!..just reading about it..i feel like crying...WHY AM I NOT IN NAIJA NOW!!!...ok, thanks for the juice...but em...can we see some pissures pls??..

Anonymous said...

hmmm wats wit Jay-z lips, i m sure dats wat attracted B. So he winked at u...di u wink back or maybe he was just blinking away flies from his eyez..
Nice account though

Uzo said...

i kept staring at the well dressed ladies and wondering which of them you were. That "alive" mensemble that beyonce wore....Star or no star...should be outlawed. I will not forgive L and some of my other friends that told me cameras were not allowed....

I thought Jay Z's lips are actually a lot bigger in real life..Couldnt stop staring at them but not for the reason u perverts are thinking....

Anonymous said...

Hey, sounds like a real good time. I heard Beyonce's national Anthem was da bomb !!

Mari said...

all this gist is making me green with envy. I cant wait for the pictures 2moro sha. Nice post!

Anonymous said...

Interesting...what is the purpose of the THisDay Music Festival?

Just a couple of thousand miles away in Darfur, multitudes are being killed in another genocide. Yeah, right in our backyard. Now check this out, Myspace.com has organized a concert for Darfur, to help out.

If we could learn to tie social causes to what we do on a more regular basis, Africa would be better off. Right?

Anonymous said...

OMG!!..I AM SUCH A CELEB WHORE!!!..lol..I have found some exclusive pics oh.of Jay and B in naija..So, ive put them up on my page...enjoy until Tminx gives ur her pics.!!

Anonymous said...

oh wait..now some sources say its ghana...well, who knows..enjoy them sha....

Quest said...

chei. now i actually wish i had been there. this is hilarious!

Tutsy said...

Wow!!! that was one hell of a gist......lol..so Jay winked at you ehn?...are u sure that wasn't u seeing and imagining things...lol...fear no even catch u, u wan holla at the dude while he is on tour with his girlfriend...lol....now thats "gangasta"..sounded llike u had fun sha....kai!!! Omotoyosi your behind should have been there representing.......anywayz, nice post Minx, i'm glad u attended the event. Omo, i am anxiuosly awaiting the picture o.

Unknown said...

Thanks Gal!! Waiting earnestly for Day Two's gist & pictures!!

Anonymous said...

URGH!!!! I AM HATING ALL OF YOU THAT WENT RIGHT ABOUT NOW....I THINK I HAVE GOTTEN SO MUCH GIST NOW THAT I AM DEPRESSED. NOT FAIR!!!! WHO ARE WE EXPECTING THIS DECEMBER SO SOME OF US CAN MAKE UP FOR MISSING THIS ONE...LOL.

by the way i dey wait pinksho :)

DiAmOnD hawk said...

wow wow wow....girl i was right there with you...love the post...im sure there must be a dvd coming out. wish i coulda been there. My girl C was there...I know she was great...

Anonymous said...

A few days ago, it was Pharell you were obsessing over, now it's Hova??? Girlfreidn, "B" is only nice on stage, she'll take it to you like Mike Tysonon Evander Holyfield's ear if you even go near her man...lol.

Glad you had a blast. Where the pictures at? I'm intentionally leaving out all the jealous remarks...

Don Chi as Blog Marley a.k.a. El Senor Supremo said...

@fola:
bless you child

Noella said...

Its not fair!!! Nothing like that EVER happened when I was in Nigeria

Anonymous said...

nice one. i like your version of pafuka (pafukered). cool.