Monday, June 19, 2006

GOSSIP GOSSIP

Wow talk about responses on my previous post, all you amebo's lol. We Nigerians like gist oh. But you can't take on my cousin and her bunch of friends. They are gossip masters!

This weekend was spent basically lazing around and on Sunday, my cousins friends came over for a visit. Three Benin girls in one room! Not a pretty sight...well not literally because Edo girls are oh so pretty :). But the excited giggles, the never ending 'gist', the shouting! “Did you hear Ehi got pregnant?” “Yes oh, she's getting married”. “Her brothers have been raining insults on her calling her a useless girl.” “I heard she is already showing.” “Her ex is now going out with Ivie.” “Yes oh did you hear the gist about Ivie?” And it goes on and on and on. They come up for fresh air once in a while, the jump right back into it.

When I was going to secondary school, I was warned not to indulge in gossiping… but in a catholic girl’s secondary school? Gossip was the norm. “I had a dream that Chichi is a witch!” “Really?”, “Yes I don't think we should talk to her anymore and we have to pray our rosary every night for protection”. Well I left that school a year later and moved to the all mighty girls school in Lagos and was it any better? I tell you NO, lol but gist was always interesting despite the fact that some of it damaged many a girls reputations. You just had to make sure you didn't fall prey to the gist mongers.

Another aspect of this is informing every person about everything that happens to you, your family, and your friends in a blow by blow account, very well detailed. The discretion comes with age. I learnt the hard way. I tend now to forget the gist as I walk out the door of the source host and discuss things that only have to do with that particular person I'm speaking with because gist can cause such drama! (The rules are different in the blogging world :)) There are some things that happen to you that should be known to only you or to your family that should be kept within the family or between friends that should be kept within a tight unit of friends because you end up arming others with things to use against you at the end of the day.

Then there is taking it too far. We have a neighbour who was laughing with us Friday morning and was in China the next day. She does it all the time like we are some spiritual cultist who will revoke her Visa. I know there is stuff like juju and so on blah blah but she knows our every movement and is so secretive with hers. It’s a bit dodgy. Anyway I leave you with this poem...

WHO AM I?

I have no respect for justice.
I maim without killing.
I break hearts and ruin lives.
I am cunning and malicious and gather strength with age.
The more I am quoted the more I am believed.
I flourish at every level of society.
My victims are helpless; they cannot protect
themselves against me because I have no name and no face.
To track me down is impossible. The harder you try, the more elusive I become.
I am nobody's friend.
Once I tarnish a reputation, it is never the same.
I topple governments and ruin marriages.
I end ministries set up by God.
I ruin careers and cause sleepless nights, heartache and indigestion.
I spawn suspicion and generate grief.
I make headlines, headaches and heartaches
I make innocent people cry in their pillows.
Even my name hisses.

---Author unknown

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post we really do like gossip. Sure the issue is dead..I guess gist amounts to boredom, sometimes.Anyway thanks for making us aware of the site in the first place. Was fun while it lasted!

Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

I think it's all about being well informed about the latest happenings in town. Now, that's another name for high class gbeborun/amebo.

Aramide said...

You are sooo right abt that gossiping thing, taureanminx esp with ppl that r sooooo secretive! I was gonna invite you to join f&nclub but I see sum1 hers started hers too! Damn! You're welcome anyway :o)

Anonymous said...

ah yes ohhhhhhhhhhh gossip! lol.

Anonymous said...

ummm... Gossip. Its funny how we tend to enjoy gossip, but when we ARE the gossip, all of a sudden we wanna fight. lol. Good post!

Nneka's World said...

LOl!
Taureen, who no like giste!
I actually caught the giste from the very begining, but i did not really want to radio it out. The one you guys saw was just the part 2.

Yeah boredom is a bi***, so anytime so hot juicy gossip comes rolling around, be rest assured people would be chooking thier necks out to hear about it.

LondonBuki said...

Right.... that poem is a bit DEEP!!!

Buki's still on holidays :-)


Anyway, just wanted to say hi... x x

TMinx said...

@ anonymous..ur welcome
@bijouxoxo, or city people lol
@pilgrimage to self, thanks I'll check it out
@mona lol, see u there!
@maphele, yup juicy gossip,
@belle, abi oh. Who wants to be gisted about when ur not making money from it like them celebrities
@nneka, lol so you dey call me gossip now abi wetin? lol
@buki, have fun love. You deserve it.

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

gist? did i hear gist? lol

Anonymous said...

hahah benin girls and shouting...i always wondered why my friend su shouted her gist all time haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, now i know

Lyrically speaking said...

Nice poem and as for gossiping I think it's a disease which affects us all one way or another we are bound to gossip about someone we love or don't, thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Hello all, I know the backdrop of this story relating to the African black pearl blog that was taken down. I am a friend of a friend that related the story to me. Apparently, the real story behind that horrible blog lies within the actual dynamics of the relationship between the 2 main characters. For one, from what I gather, La vien the author had marriage ideas on the guy nonso in question, but owing to the somewhat sketchy/rocky past of these 2, he had apparently turned her down, as at the time he had a really wonderful Chinese girlfriend, and La vien as known to him, was not a particularly nice person to him in the past so he simply wasn't interested in marriage to her and cut away from her.

A couple of months down the line La vien had forced her way back into his life, more or less with the same idea on her mind, although he had another girlfriend at the time in Nigeria. La vien was also seeing some Swiss white guy at that time which only made matters more complicated.

Eventually La vien and nonso slept together, but that still didn’t make him want to commit to her in any form, and he was dating quite a few girls at the time. To cut a long story short, the attack on his mum was apparently due to the fact that La vien was rude to her and the mum did not like it. She also felt that his mum was blocking her from marrying him, as La vien felt his mum never really approved of her. So thus the nasty extreme attack of his mum and sisters on her blog. He finally decided to end their friendship as she was constantly trying to torment him, and she could not handle it and she attacked him and his mum FULL ON! Trying to paint both him as his family in as WORSE a light as possible! She had apparently even left death threats on his landline, and he simply called the police on her, for which she countersued as during the whole craziness, he had deleted her Msn, email, hi5 in retaliation of the insults of his mum he had endured from her. She now never to contact him again or else the police will intervene.

Folks think about it, if La vien is to be believed, what could he have possibly done to warrant the insult/attack on him and HIS FAMILY? Spreading lies everywhere.

As the old saying goes, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. U guys be the judge of this interesting/ sad story, draw your conclusions, and then let it die a peaceful death.

Nneka's World said...

Na wa oh Taureen, you read the giste?

That is some HAWT s**t
@anon Talk true! that is something oh!

Anonymous said...

@Nneka.
Its apparently the REAL story behind it. This is obviously a girl who is truly bitter/angry and hates this guy and his mum and family for the reasons mentioned with a PASSION. If this is not the case, the fight is between La Vien and this Nonso guy, why drag his MUM into it? She isnt their age group, so obviously there is much more to all this that meets the eye. She obviously wants to destroy this guy's reputation.

What would warranty her going as far as to insulting his mum and sisters all over the Internet? Come on folks, something isn't quite right here. This is the real story of a bitter, frustrated, scorned woman trying to destroy the poor guy's name and family.

Make your own logical conclusions Nneka and think really hard about the dynamics of this story and as to what directions the insults have been flying. No matter what, his MUM should not been dragged into this. A woman can only do this if {a) she had a hidden agenda and the mum was in the way, and {b} She was in any event, marriage or not a secret enemy to this guy.
Think about it nneka...

Enjoy ur evening.

Anonymous said...

@ANON,IS THIS AN ASSUPMTION OF WHAT COULD HAVE POSSIBLY GONE DOWN OR R U SURE?

Anonymous said...

@DIDI

In the situation of having been closer to the protagonists involved,yes this is DEFINATELY want really went down. Think aout it, it all makes more sense now. That is why La vien put the websites TWICE. This is simply pure ANGER and HATE on her path, especilally when u include the MUM in all this, its obvious this girl had SOMETHING against his family. I cant say anymore on the subject, but do draw ur own conclusions to it.
Enjoy the rest of the week all.

Anonymous said...

Chei!!!!! na wa Oh! I am sorry Taurean Minx. I know say you no go like make all dis gbeborun and gbegele dey go on for your blog..abeg no vex but, I get to comment. I was one of the people visiting the website and leaving messages for her. I too decoded this La vi en rose chick. I left a msg on Nonso site ( at least the one she set up ) and thought he was trully gay. I said he should wear his colors with pride etc.At the time messages had to be okayed by the blogger. Why did i come back on the site and see that my comment had been twisted in order to insult this guy. It was then I knew that someone was behind the whole thing. Cuz i never posted a negative comment in the first place. So back to La vie blog I went and asked why she was being so vindictive. a first she didnt answer..then later she replied with a lengthy story abouthim hackinginto her hi5 etc. I simply told her to leave this dudes mama outof it and that she too would have kids one day blah blah blah. It just seemed to me that she didnt have a concrete reason for all her actions. I am glad she is of the blogsphere she was toxic.

Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

Haba! T Minx, all these gbeborun, Madam Kofo, amebo, gbegele for ur page. See we like gist too much.

Anonymous said...

Enough with Nonso & La vie En Rose!

Hear Our Finance Minister has been replaced :(

Anonymous said...

kai!!! It appears Nonso has found his way to your blog!!! How hilarious is this?!!!!!

TMinx said...

Wow guys! Gossip sells oh. Who wants to join me to start up a business?? Just kidding.

Well its sad that stuff disintegrated to this level for both parties. Anger can make ppl do things they wouldnt usually do. I'm not the one to judge seeing as both have been wronged somehow. I wish them both goodluck and PEACE.

@Mimi, she hasnt been replaced, shes been upgraded!!!

Anonymous said...

@ Tminx...Oh right, It is an upgrade. Glad to hear it! I admire what she did during her tenure. Think this new appointment is a really good look for her.

Adaure Achumba said...

Yo 'T-minx' when you ahve gossip like this going down you need to holla so I know where the 'spot of the day will be ..lol