Wednesday, May 03, 2006

E-A-R-L-I-E-S-T M-E-M-O-R-Y

Okay the idea of this is to blog about the earliest memory you carry around with you that stands out from the others. Every once in a while it pops up at the oddest of times and you wonder if you dreamed it up because it happened such a long time ago. The only rule is that you write it in first person narrative.

Don't analyse it, just tell it. I'll start....

I'm sitting watching T.V. I don't know how old I am but I’m younger than 5 because I'm still in Benin City, and younger yet because I don't remember my younger brother being around and I'm two years older than he is. Its dark outside and the light inside is yellow and dim. I don't know if it’s our house or my uncle’s house. My uncle and parents are in the living room with me. It’s a small room and three comfy couches face the TV. The room is divided into the living room and dining room which must lead into the kitchen. A door at the side of the living room behind the couch leads to a passage way where a flight of stairs lead upwards.

It’s very dark so it must be quite late. My aunt walks in. There's some sort of tension in the air, I can almost cut it. I look around and my mum, dad and uncle are watching TV so everything must be okay.

She goes through the door that leads to the passage way. Not long after my uncle follows.

Now all I can hear is shouting and then she starts crying. I get really scared as the screams get louder. I run to my mum in panic. My parents sit tight, my mum with me on her lap, and I look from left to right at both, wondering whether they are going to pretend that nothing is happening till she can scream no more. I try to pretend too but my heart is pounding erratically.

After what seems like an eternity although it must have been no less than a few minutes, my dad gets up and goes through the door, and in the few seconds between the door opening and closing, I spy my uncle, his left hand raised, anger written all over his face, my aunt cowering and crying.

And then the door shuts.

What's you earliest, most striking memory?

17 comments:

LondonBuki said...

Ok!!! Not too sure about my earliest memory, I have about 10 that pop up in my mind...

About your post - Wow!

TMinx said...

@londonbuki,

Whats the one that strikes u the most?

Quest said...

I can think of one thing. I just know my mother travelled to Kaduna and my father was left with three children to care for. He cooked beans and messed it up. Then my older sister put me in the bath tub and we took off our clothes and proceeded to bathe ourselves with a huge tub of vaseline...

david said...

Wow! i remember 1st jan 2000! Happy new millenium! NEPA gratefully spared us the ignominy of sharing that day with darkness. My living room is just on window level with my next door neighbors. He's holding a wicked koboko and whipping his poor wife at 12 midnight! She's screaming her lungs out, her poor kids are running helter skelter while mom cringes with every lash that whips through the quiet night.
Next morning, the light-skinned woman is covered with red blisters every where!
What a way to begin a new millenium!

david said...

i was 4! i got whipped by my dad cos i had dificulty eating when i was growing. i must have fainted or died who knows. i was standing there staring at my body lying motionless on the ground, my brother (about 3 then) was screaming for my mum. my dad just stood there with his cane. i must have gone outside cos i remember my mom was shelling melon or something there? someone splashed water on my face and nect thing i know i'm back on the floor, wet and scared!

A disillusioned Naija girl said...

That's horrible. He was beating his wife?! I know I shouldn't be shocked but I really am.

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

thats quite a memory! girl....
my earliest memory... trying to reach a toy at the back of a cabinet and getting stuck.. i still remember how i felt being stuck. I must have been like 3 or so!

Nneka's World said...

My earliest memory is when i woke up one night about 8 by my mother's shouting in my room
She was flogging the houseboy, she said she caught him trying to touch me in appropriately.

LondonBuki said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LondonBuki said...

I was being chased by something scary (can't remember) and I fell off a cliff and I was falling and falling and falling and crying.... then my mummy woke me up and hugged me. IT WAS A DREAM!!!

chibs said...

aw man, im not even going to tell it because nobody believes me. It is really and truly vexing. Ok, my earlist memory is of me being in the pram and my brother was taking me for a pram race with my aunt and he won. You see, I told you, you wouldn't believe me but i actually do remember.

TMinx said...

@everchange, VASELINE!! lol, Im sure your father didnt know what he was letting himself in for.
@david, wow what a way to begin a new yr..I was in disney world!
@disillusioned, it happens more than you think...watch out for those who can't manage their anger
@onada, where you a chubby baby?lol
@nneka, wow he crept into your room??
@buki, yeah i had strange dreams too
@chibs, thats hilarious!!
@toyin, I remember those! Lol, you must have got a good spanking
@bentoutofshape, sorry you had to go through that. A man should never lift his hand to a woman seeing as he is probably stronger. There are other ways to get your point across.

Noella said...

@chibs- for the thousandth time- that NEVER HAPPENED - how can you remember something as a baby that the adults pushing you can't remember -its a good STORY though!!
@Moni- That's sooo sad, I'm sooo sorry you had to experience that
@ Taurean - Great piece, but I have no idea what my earliest memory is - I remember things all the time, but don't have any clue about the order they came in...

Anonymous said...

to david-u must be making up movies in ur head.lol!u r funny

1511th said...

I remember being less than 5 and I never liked going to my foster parent's home (My mum was always working and got my sister and I a foster family, were we stayed for the week), so when it was time to go on Sundays, I remember everytime I got to my Foster mum's, I'll hold my breathe, as a child I was very good at it, and I always ended up in the hospital or back at my mum's.

Anonymous said...

THATS NOT FAIR..WHY DIDN'T U FINISH THE MEMORY..SO DO U KNOW WHAT HAPPENED NOW THAT UR OLDER

NoLimit said...

I remember waking up early on a saturday morning and going to my parents' room,then I get to lie down on my dad's chest while he conversed with my mum(to the jealousy of my other sibblings lol...last born syndrome).
I remember I used to like to hear his voice vibrating through his chest...